27 Feb Do I Have A Leak?
Leaks In The Home
The EPA estimates more than one trillion gallons of water is wasted each year in U.S. homes. The biggest culprits are drippy faucets, leaky valves, and worn toilet flappers.
Repairing these common and easily corrected leaks can save you about 10 percent of your water bill!
Our plumbers at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Tyler TX recommend doing a quick leak checkup.
- On your water bill: A typical family of four should use no more than 12,000 gallons of water in the winter. If you use more, you could have a leak.
- Check for corrosion or discoloration around your water heater and all exposed piping usually indicating a slow leak.
- Add a drop of food coloring in your toilet tank. If the color appears in your toilet bowl without flushing, you could also have a leak.
- One hour Meter check. Note the exact reading of the dial on your water meter. Don’t run any water or flush your toilets for an hour, then recheck your meter. If it moved you likely have an underground leak. This requires immediate professional attention.
- For leaky faucets and shower-heads: make sure your washers and gaskets are tight. Replace them if they are worn with newer water efficient options.
- How’s Your Flapper? The most common cause of a leaking toilet is often the inexpensive, rubber flapper. Check for wear and replace if needed. Our plumbers have professional grade products that can outlast store bought parts.
- In The Yard: inspect your irrigation system and your garden hose. The spigot where the hose is attached to your home is a common leak spot. Tighten or replace the rubber hose washer. Use Teflon® tape on the leaking area and gently tighten with a wrench. ** Take Care: Over tightening any fitting can actually cause a leak or damage your plumbing.
- Get Protection. Our affordable plumbing protection plans cover what many basic homeowners insurance policies don’t: the cost of repairing interior plumbing lines, valves and drains. We also offer options that cover additional areas, such as water heaters, bathtubs, and toilets.
Don’t wait until it’s too late! Plumbing protection plans start at just $8.99/month!
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Tyler serves the East Texas cities of Kilgore, Longview, Tyler, and Whitehouse with a team of certified plumbers. In addition to emergency plumbing repair, some of the plumbing services provided by the company include faucet repair, drain services, toilet repair, plumbing fixture installations, tub and shower installations, kitchen sink repair, faucet installation, water heater repair/replacement, and garbage disposal replacement. Call us today at (903) 730-6611 to schedule an appointment!