15 Jan How Do I Clear A Clogged Bathtub Drain?
Check Strainers and Stoppers
Most bathtub or shower drains have some kind of drain stopper or strainer the help keeps large pieces of debris from entering the drain. These stoppers also catch hair and soap as its drains from the tub, and a lot of times this combination can tend to cause problems as hair tangles and soap creates large clogs.
In this case, you simply need to remove the stopper from the drain and dispose of the clog. Most strainers or stoppers twist out of the drain, in some instances they may need to be unscrewed. Check to see how quickly the tub drains after this has been done. If there’s still standing water, this could mean that there is a clog further down the line.
Baking Soda & Vinegar
- Begin by pouring a pot of boil water down your drain
- Dump 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain, wait a few minutes.
- Combine 1 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of hot water, then pour the mixture down the drain.
- Cover drain to keep reaction below the drain’s surface (you can use an old towel) and allow the mixture to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Flush the drain one more time with another pot of boiling water.
- After the stopper has been removed place the cup of the plunger over the drain opening and fill the tub with water until the lip of the plunger is covered.
- Move the plunger handle up and down to force out the clog.
Using A Drain Claw Or Snake
- Insert the hardware into the drain. Don’t worry if your drain turns abruptly, the insert will follow the bend.
- Feed the snake or claw into the drain until you feel resistance, this means that you’ve located the clog.
- Rotate the insert until you feel no more resistance. This means that the snake or claw has been forced through the clog.
- Retract the claw or snake and bring the clog out of the drain.
Still Seeing A Clogged Bathtub Drain?
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Tyler serves the East Texas cities of Kilgore, Longview, Tyler, and Whitehouse with a team of certified plumbers. In addition to emergency plumbing repair, some of the plumbing services provided by the company include faucet repair, drain services, toilet repair, plumbing fixture installations, tub and shower installations, kitchen sink repair, faucet installation, water heater repair/replacement, and garbage disposal replacement. Call us today at (903) 730-6611 to schedule an appointment!